Tuesday, May 11, 2004

Getting Reconnected to Visual Source Safe after Working Disconnected

Ran into a small head scratcher today.

I'm getting ready for a demo which will have to run without an Oracle DB connection. To test that everthing is a go, I undocked my laptop and ran the app. A small tweak was required and when attempting to make the change, VS .net complained about being disconnected from VSS. It asked if I'd like to do a 'virtual' check out and work in disconnected mode. I agreed.

Problem:

When I redocked VS .net was not smart enough to switch modes and most of my Source Control menu options were missing. Specifically, Check-in was gone and a couple of files were flagged as checked out!

Solution:

From VS .net, on the File menu, point to Source Control, and then click Change Source Control. Highlight the VSS Server and click on 'Connect' Icon in upper left of dialog. :-)

No comments:

C# Sucks!

JK!! Seriously, though, somewhere around C#-3 we should have inculcated ourselves with the question: "Does 'CAN' == 'SHOULD...